Home > Blog > Flea Control for Your Pet and Home

Flea Control for Your Pet and Home

Fleas

Posted by bravectosouthafrica - 23 April 2019

Flea control is challenging. These unwanted parasites can cause your pet a loss of energy, as well as affect their health and performance. And, the worst part is that humans can be infected in the process.

So, if you’re worried about fleas in your home and on your pet, here are a few tips for effective flea control:

Speak to a professional for treatment 

When you start to notice your pet suffering with fleas, this, unfortunately, means that the flea population has already made your home theirs. Only 1–5 percent of fleas can be found on your pet, meaning that the other 95 percent is in your pet’s environment. If you’re concerned, it’s time to contact your local veterinarian and put together a flea control programme that could help your pet and your home. If your current treatment is not working, consider changing over to a flea treatment that provides extended protection, such as Bravecto® Chew for dogs or Bravecto® Spot-On for cats and dogs, to give those fleas the boot. Your vet will be able to advise you on a product that is best suited to your pet.

Start vacuuming your home more often 

If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner, you need to invest in one. When you vacuum your floors and furniture, you’re lowering the chance for fleas and their eggs to spread. After you have finished vacuuming, get rid of the cleaner bag away from your garbage bins at home. If you have carpets, consider steam cleaning your carpets to prevent fleas from returning and laying eggs in your carpets.

Wash your bedding in hot water

Most people do their washing in cold water; however, if you want to kill fleas, you will need to wash your bedding and your pet’s bedding in hot water. Add some soap to your water and wash your bedding weekly. Also, wash your pet’s bed and toys to ensure that any fleas or eggs are killed in the process.

Final thoughts

Flea control is a tiresome experience. If you want to eliminate the need to wash your pet, bedding and home every week, look for a treatment option that can offer your pet the protection it deserves. A product like Bravecto® will kill fleas before they can lay eggs and break the life cycle. It can take up to 3-months to get on top of a flea infestation in your home, which is where our products come into play. Bravecto® Chew for dogs provides 12-weeks of protection and Bravecto® Spot-On for dogs provides 6-months protection against fleas. As for cats, our Bravecto® Spot-On for cats provides 3-months protection against fleas with just one dose. Speak to your vet about our products for more information or visit our website.

Sources:
Get Rid of Fleas in Your Home, Step by Step
How to Get Rid of Fleas in the House

Recent Posts

DOGS
Top Small Dog Breeds for Small Living Spaces

Living in a free-standing house with a backyard for your doggo to roam free us not always an option when you begin your adult life. While it might unfortunate as...

Cats
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Owning a Cat

We all know that cats are pretty much always in charge of the household and they have certain expectations and standards that they expect from their owners. For weeks you’re...

%d bloggers like this: